The Thomas Jefferson Library of Congress in Washington, DC is one of the largest national libraries in the world. Before this building was constructed, the Library of Congress was housed in the U.S. Capitol’s west center building, but it eventually outgrew this space. In 1886, it was decided that the library should have its own location. In 1897, the new Library of Congress building was completed. At this time, it was the largest and more expensive library building in the world; its design incorporating many luxurious materials such as marble, granite, bronze, gold and mahogany.
Fabrication of Decorative Sheet Metal Ornaments
Over time, the copper cupola and main dome which covers the central reading room began to age and deteriorate. More than 70 U.S. contractors were approached to handle this historic restoration project, but Heather & Little was ultimately awarded the job.
Along with James Myers Co. of Maryland, our team worked to replicate the pressed ornamental copper stampings and other decorative sheet metal elements for the building’s main dome, lantern, and “Flame of Knowledge” finial. Using new sheet metal copper and a combination of traditional and modern techniques, our craftsmen carefully reproduced the original ornamental features of the distinctive dome atop the Library of Congress.
We are also pleased to note that this project was awarded the NRCA Gold Circle Award for outstanding craftsmanship in restoration. To learn more about our work on the Thomas Jefferson Library of Congress, browse the images below: